Monday, April 23, 2012

Sandfest 2012

This past weekend Lester, Lauren and I went to Port Aransas for their annual Sandfest.  We stayed in the yellow house a block from the beach...same place we stayed at spring break. This is the third year we have come to Sandfest....we missed last year because of my broken leg so I was really excited to be going again. It was windy and warm on Saturday and beautiful on Sunday.  After checking out the vendors and eating lunch on Saturday, we decided to enjoy the sun and relaxed out on the beach for several hours.  The master sculptors worked on their creations from 9-5 on Friday.  Although I heard they had quite a bit of rain Friday and had to stop for awhile.   They continued their work on Saturday from 9-5 and on Sunday from 7-1.  After 1:00, the judging began.  We left about 1 and headed for home so don't know the winners yet.  But as I show you the pictures, I'll point out my favorites in the single and the duo competition.  There is also an amateur competition and some of those people are really good. Of course Saturday, we did a little shopping both with the vendors on the beach and a few places in town.  I was looking for a beach themed clock for outside by the pool but couldn't find one.  Although I did find a few other things. Saturday night we ate at my favorite place in Port A...Moby Dicks and of course I had my favorite thing there....peel and eat shrimp.  YUM!  Here are pictures of the creations....some are not finished because they still had about 2 hours to go.  Enjoy!  We had a great time!  I love Sandfest!
All the master sculptors worked together Monday-Thursday to create this entrance piece.  All the other sides have names of sponsors.
Here are pictures of the master sculptor creations:




This one was called Buffalo Soldier.  Look at the detail.
 This was like a pinball chute...you can kinda see the ball there in the middle.
 This was called creatures of the sea.
 This was so cute.  There is a cowboy in front of the horse.  The horse is looking over the cowboy's shoulder at the tv that is playing "Mr. Ed."
This is my favorite single master...this cowgirl was huge and very detailed.
 This was titled "Kindle Fire" but all he had done was the fire part at this point.
 This is the first of the duo competition.
 This was a mechanical dragon.
 This man towered above everything around it.  It was higher than the vendor tents.  It was called "The Fifth Element."
Look at the teeth on this t-rex.
This is my favorite of the duo competition and maybe overall.  This couple was from the Netherlands.  This was called "Where Mermaids Come From."
 Look at the elephant's trunk carefully...see the bodies inside?
 See the bodies? See the feet just hanging out of the trunk?
 Out comes a mermaid....
It was amazing!

We took Luna with us again and there we tons of people for her to see and lots of other dogs around.  Between all the excitement of the people, dogs, food, heat, etc....she was exhausted and when Lauren picked her up to carry her for a while, she basically just collapsed in Lauren's arms.


Is there such a thing as sensory overload for a puppy?  :)
I love Sandfest and was so glad it fell on the weekend near my birthday. I think everyone needs to see it at least once.  Next year it is scheduled for the weekend of April 26-28.  Book a place to stay early though.

No comments:

Post a Comment