Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Austin Adventures Day 1




Monday, April 9, was our first day of our Austin Adventures.  We began the day with a walk (well, run for Lester) around Town Lake.  It was a beautiful day and a beautiful view.  Along the way we saw a mother duck and her babies swimming, the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue and a giant shovel reminding people to scoop their poop in the off leash area.  After lunch we went to the Austin Zoo and Sanctuary.  Honestly I wasn't expecting much.  For those of you who don't know, it is not your typical zoo.  It is a rescue zoo.  I wasn't expecting to see many people but there were actually quite a few families out for the day.  I also was not expecting to see many interesting animals.  I guess I hadn't set my sights very high.  :(  However, I was very surprised!  We saw lots and lots of unique and "zoo-type" animals.  I've included many pictures here for your pleasure.  Almost all the animals had sad stories about how the had been rescued from extreme conditions or from owners who had tired of them.  It was actually a little sad to think that people could treat animals so poorly.  My favorite thing was the peacock who was showing his feathers and was "posing" for pictures.  Of course Lauren and Lester had to make jokes the he was "peacocking"...a throwback to the movie "17 Again."  We had a great visit to the Austin Zoo and Sanctuary.  After dropping Lester off at home, Lauren and I went to visit the Botanical Gardens.  Lester refused to go, saying there was probably nothing he could think of that would be worse than going to the Botanical Gardens.  I think there are probably a lot of things worse but that's ok...we went anyway. There were many beautiful plants and flowers but there were also a lot of areas in need of some care.  Look at the amazing butterfly pictures I got.  A great first day of our Austin Adventures!

















Here are pictures from the Botanical Garden.




















No comments:

Post a Comment